Meditation for Beginners
5 quick steps to a less stressed life
Bills, kids, work: it can all leave you a little wound up. With a little easy meditation, you can be on your way to a more relaxed day.
Before you begin a meditation session, change into comfortable clothing and find a quiet room to sit in. Have a little snack if you're hungry (hunger distracts from inner peace!). Start by doing five minutes twice a day (set a timer) and work up to one or two sessions that last 20 to 30 minutes apiece.
1. Sit comfortably on the floor or in a chair. Your back should be straight but not rigid.
2. Close your eyes. Inhale deeply. Exhale, and count "1."
3. Inhale deeply again. Exhale, and count "2."
4. Continue this way until you reach the number 10. Then count backward from 10 to 1. Repeat until finished.
5. If thoughts distract you (and they will), try not to judge yourself or be swept away by them. Just start over at 1.