Fun and Easy Home Makeovers
25 affordable little makeovers that will make a big difference to your home
1. Group your collections or mismatched treasures of the same color on a shelf or tabletop this will have more visual impact than scattering things all over the house.
2. Cut some of the prettiest pictures out of an old calendar or a photography, decorating or botanical book. Put the pages in matching, inexpensive frames and hang them in a row.
3. Invest in an attractive silk flower arrangement from your local craft store and switch in a few fresh blooms every week to change the look no one will guess youre faking it
4. Start a collection by hitting eBay someones trash could be your treasure! Or check out etsy.com and pick up handmade wares and artwork from independent craftspeople.
5. Hang a second shower curtain over the first in the bathroom. It will make it appear fuller and help keep the floor drier.
6. Switch out heavy curtains for sheers. This will lighten up the room and make it feel more modern and summery.
7. Swap the old covers on your sofa pillows for a fresh, bold pattern both sets will look good for longer, too. Or sew on trim, buttons or beads for a new look.
8. "Paint your ceiling something other than white, like a pale blue or light gray. It will draw the eye up, making your room feel more spacious." John Loecke, sylist and decorator
9. Grab a trio of terra-cotta pots from the garden and paint them the colors of your favorite flowers. Make them shine with a coat of shellac.
10. Edit the furniture in a room. Have you used a piece in the last three months? If not, its time to recycle! Move it somewhere else or give it away.
11. Roll up that heavy old rug and put down a lighter sisal or cotton one. Or go bare: You can paint a rug right onto the floor!
12. "Tired of looking at all that clutter? Make a place for every item, one at a time. Once each thing has a home, youll be organized forever." Thom Filicia, interior designer and TV host
13. Wallpaper the inside of your closet in a cheerful print. It will put a smile on your face every time you get dressed.
14. Paint an orange square on the wall. Then mount a small piece of artwork or a family photo on the square; you will create an especially eye-catching "frame."
15. Replace a boring white lamp shade with a new, colorful one.
16. Freshen up a plain wooden chair with a coat of white paint and cover the seat cushion with a colorful bandanna or scarf.
17. Treat yourself to fresh flowers and arrange them in a quirky bowl, pitcher or empty jar anything but a vase!
18. Get moody: Swap out standard light switches for dimmers and add dimmers to your lamps, too.
19. Hang two large mirrors on opposite sides of a room; the room will instantly feel larger.
20. Replace all the wire hangers in your closet with a matching set of wooden ones or pretty colored plastic.
21. A brightly colored throw will make your neutral-color sofa feel like new again.
22. Paint the front door in a bold color like scarlet or blue the whole front of your house will instantly pop with charm.
23. "Replace all your plastic outlet covers with more decorative ones. It's cheap, visually more interesting and shows you care about details." Frank Fontana, designer from HCTV's Design on a Dime
24. If a new mattress is out of your price range, top your existing one with a feather bed it changes the whole experience.
25. Cover a couple of small canvases with leftover fabric that you love and hang them on the wall for instant (and cheap!) artwork"